Clearwater Kitchen » Recipes » Scallop Recipes » Sea Scallop Recipes » Brandade with Seared Scallops and a Grapefruit Relish
¾ lb Yukon gold potatoes
1 cup 2 % milk
¼ cup water
8 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
9 white peppercorns
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ lb smoked sablefish
½ cup heavy cream
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp olive oil
2 ruby grapefruits
½ Thai chili, finely chopped
¼ cup finely diced red onion
¼ cup finely diced yellow onion
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
8 large scallops, muscle removed
4 tbsp olive oil
Chervil to garnish
1. Place potatoes, skin on, in a saucepan and cover with
lightly salt water.
2. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to
medium and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until
potatoes are fork tender.
3. Drain. Peel potatoes and put through a ricer or food
mill. Keep warm.
4. In another saucepan, combine milk, water, thyme, bay
leaf, peppercorns and garlic.
5. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Add sablefish and
simmer for 1 minute.
6. Remove from the heat and allow fish to cool in
poaching liquid, about 5 minutes.
7. In another saucepan, bring cream to just a boil on
medium heat. Remove from heat and keep warm.
8. Remove fish from poaching liquid. Place equal
amounts (1/2 lb. of each) of potatoes and sablefish in
bowl of a kitchen mixer with a paddle attachment.
9. Mix on a low speed, slowly adding warm cream (just
enough to moisten mixture).
10. Add extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and freshly
ground white pepper. Keep warm.
1. Cut peel off of ruby grapefruits. Segment grapefruit,
removing membrane and any pith.
2. Roughly chop segments and reserve in a bowl.
3. Squeeze excess juice from grapefruit membrane and
reserve the juice separately.
4. In a large sauté pan, on medium heat, add olive oil.
5. Add red onion, yellow onion and chili and sauté until
onions are translucent.
6. Add brown sugar and cook for 1 minute, until sugar is
7. Add vinegar and reserved grapefruit juice and cook
until liquid becomes syrupy, stirring occasionally.
8. Remove from heat and stir in grapefruit segments.
9. Allow mix to cool and transfer to an airtight container.
Keep refrigerated until ready to use. Will keep
refrigerated up to 3 days.
1. Season scallops on both sides with salt and freshly
ground white pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan on high
3. Add scallops and sear for 1-½ minutes on each side.
4. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
1. Divide brandade in the centre of 4 warmed dinner
2. Place 2 scallops in the middle of each serving and top
with a spoonful of relish.
3. Garnish with a small sprig of chervil. Serve
View the Clearwater website asFoodservice Retail Investor Why do we ask?
To serve our customers better, our website content has been customized for different customer types based on their needs and interests. Have a suggestion on how we can serve you better, please let us know.