Clearwater Kitchen » Recipes » Scallop Recipes » Sea Scallop » Atlantic Scallops and Marinated Fennel with Saffron Broth, Orange Sabayon
½ pc white onion sliced
1 pc leek sliced, washed and drained
1 pc carrot (medium) sliced
½ pc fennel bulb sliced
2 clove garlic minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp saffron
pinch of dried chili flakes
pinch of fennel seed, toasted and crushed
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup canned tomato, seeded and chopped
1 quart fish or vegetable stock (fish preferred)
sea salt to taste
white pepper, ground to taste
1 pc bay leaf
dash of Pernod
8 oz scallop meat, thawed, muscle removed
½ clove garlic, minced
¼ pc shallot, minced
1 pc lime, juiced
2 rbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ pc roma tomato, outer part cut in fine dice
white pepper, ground, to taste
sea salt, to taste
1 tsp chervil, chopped coarse
1 pc fennel, sliced finely (across grain)
1 tsp carrot, cut in brunoise
1 pc shallot, minced
2 tsp chives, cut fine
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup white wine
2 tbsp dry white vermouth
1 tbsp champagne vinegar
¼ cup orange juice
3 pc green peppercorns
¼ tsp fennel seed (whole)
1/2 pc bay leaf
½ pc lime leaf
2 pc egg yolk
1. Heat a non-reactive sauce pan to moderate
temperature and sauté onion (or shallot), leek, carrot,
fennel and garlic in the olive oil until translucent.
2. Add the saffron, dry chili flakes, fennel seed and the
white wine and reduce the wine by ½ over medium
3. Add the chopped tomato and stock, bring to a simmer.
Add the salt, pepper and bay leaf. Reduce the heat and
let the broth simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
4. Correct the seasoning then strain the broth, hold warm
and finally bring back to a simmer for service.
5. Finish the broth with Pernod and vegetable brunoise or
pearls and a few threads of reserved saffron.
1. Pat the scallops dry on paper towel then slice cross-wise
into ¼” thick medallions. Place in a non-reactive dish.
2. In a bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients and
pour over the scallops until they are covered.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at
least two hours (four optimum).
4. Sprinkle chervil over just before serving.
1. Place all vegetables in a mixing bowl, toss with lemon
juice and olive oil. Season to taste.
2. Reserve. Add frisee greens and pea tendrils just before
1. Heat the broth.
2. Place the fennel salad in the center of a warm soup
3. Drain scallops and place the scallops over the fennel
4. Drizzle a spoonful of the sabayon over the scallops.
Garnish with a chervil sprig.
5. Serve immediately and pour the hot broth into the soup
plate surrounding the scallop presentation. Enjoy.
View the Clearwater website asFoodservice Retail Investor Why do we ask?
To serve our customers better, our website content has been customized for different customer types based on their needs and interests. Have a suggestion on how we can serve you better, please let us know.